International Adoption

Project: Home International exists in order to advocate for children around the world who are without a home or are without basic living resources. Take a look at these startling statistics:

  • It is estimated that 153 million children worldwide, ranging from infants to teenagers, have lost one or both parents (UNICEF).
  • HIV/AIDS has orphaned 17.9 million children, most of them in Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia (UNICEF).
  • Over 7 million children are in institutional care worldwide (Save).
  • One in five children living in developing countries is severely underweight (World Bank, UN).
  • Over 1 billion children suffer from at least one form of severe deprivation of basic needs such as water, food, and sanitation (SOS).
  • 19,000 children under the age of five died every day in 2011 (UNICEF).
  • 22 million children are refugees or internally displaced, forced to flee their homes due to violence or natural disaster (UNHCR).
  • Over 1 billion children live in countries affected by armed conflict (UNICEF).
  • 67 million children of primary school age do not go to school (UNESCO).

- See more at: http://www.sos-usa.org/our-impact/childrens-statistics#sthash.tIjcDKLT.dpuf

We at Project: Home believe that part of the answer to this crisis is International Adoption.

Matching Grants

One major hindrance to international adoption is the huge cost; international adoption can cost families well over $40,000, depending on the country and other factors. We at Project: Home want to make sure cost is not the factor that turns a prospective adoptive family away from becoming a forever family for a child in need.

When an adoptive family is selected into the Project: Home Matching Grant Program, they will receive dollar-for-dollar matching of their fundraising up to a specified amount (up to $3000). 

Prospective recipients will need the following items in order to be considered for the Project: Home Matching Grant Program:

  1. Have your Home Study completed and approved for international adoption

  2. Complete and return the signed Application

  3. Have permission from a family member, a friend, and a spiritual leader (pastor, priest, home group leader, etc) to use them as a reference.

  4. Develop a mailing list of 50 - 150 potential supporters. This group would include people from your family, friends, workplace associates, church, etc.

Once accepted into the program, adoptive families will receive support in planning their fundraising campaign. An "end date" will be agreed upon between the family and Project: Home.  All donations received by their donors during this process will be tax-deductible. Any donations received after this end date will be put into the Project: Home general fund.

Fundraising Support

When money is unavailable for matching grants, approved applicants may receive assistance by allowing Project: Home to collect tax-deductible donations on your behalf. Payments toward your adoption expenses will then be made by Project: Home.

House Concerts

One unique fundraising idea that may be of benefit to adoptive families that are within reasonable distance of the Denver, CO area (or within flying distance if travel is covered by the hosts) is the House Concert. Drew Schofield, one of our founders, is a professional musician and will perform in your home as a fundraiser for your adoption. Guests are invited by the host and encouraged to bring a suggested donation for Project: Home. At the end of the concert, 80% of donations received and the money made from sales of Drew's CD 150 Million (-1) will be available for the adoptive family to use toward adoption expenses. The remaining 20% will go toward funding our matching grant program and to our current Program Partner Light Up Hope (see below). All donations and CD sales will be tax-deductible for the donors.

For more information on how to host a House Concert, please watch this video from Concerts In Your Home:

Program Partnership

Project: Home recognizes that not every child in need is best served by adoption. The sad truth is that many orphans are created because of abandonment due to poverty. Families, especially young women without access to vital resources such as food, healthcare, and education may reach a point of desperation at which they give up their child. We believe that working toward preserving families is a critical part of overcoming the global orphan crisis. Project: Home partners with programs whose aim is community outreach with this goal in mind. Our current partner is Light Up Hope's LIFT program. LUH's founders say it well, "Children should not have to leave their family because of poverty"